Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:19:37 -0400
From: Marvin Stodolsky <marvstod@rcn.com>
To: Robert Aldridge <bamarob55@yahoo.com>
CC:  discuss@linmodems.org
Subject: Re: New laptop owner...

Robert,

This
------------
    ----:----
Class 0703: 1002:434d   Modem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 434d (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
  SubSystem 103c:006b   Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 006b
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
	Memory at d0003400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

 The soft modem Subsystem operates under a controller
     1002:434d  ATI   with Subsystem chipset POSSIBLY from:
	Intel

-------------------
The  Modem: ATI Technologies  is a controller for an 1002:434d
Subsystem, possibly an Intel 537 type , but could be a variety of others.
So let's try the Intel 537 first.  I happen to have those resources on
this laptop, so I'll send them to you.

Re Modem symbolic link is: /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS0
This is only for serial port modems, so remove the symbolic link, as Root
# rm /dev/modem

Re:
----active COMM services are ------------

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:02:3F:6E:95:98

---------
This will conflict with DomainNameService during modem usages. So before
using the modem
# ifconfig
# ifconfig eth0 down
# ifconfig
to check

Install the wvdial.deb package for later modem testing.

MarvS
scanModem maintainer