Subject: Re: No voice supported modems yet?
From: "Brian J. Murrell" <brian@interlinx.bc.ca>
To: discuss@linmodems.org
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:38:47 -0400

--=-Ljj5Wfajv0QuDzO444Gf

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 22:36, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Brian J. Murrell writes:
>  > It seems to me that voice is the real killer use of winmodems.
>=20
> That's certainly what I always thought would be the case.

It's a shame that a lot of time and effort has been (IMHO) wasted making
these things do what there are already perfectly good devices out there
doing.  Not to mention how well supported they are and how well they do
at it.

If all of that time was put into making winmodems better "PSTN sound
cards" (if you will), the solutions that could come from it would be
amazing.

> Hehe.  Yes and no.  Turns out that the single-line FXO card that
> Digium sells is actually a full-duplex voice modem

I figured as much.

> with a modified PCI
> id.  Asterisk only supports the modified PCI id, and the maintainers
> won't accept a patch that allows support for the standard id.

Maintainers?  Of the driver for the Digium FXO card?  Is it binary only
or Open Source?

> That's
> why they can sell their single port card for $99 where the same
> product positioned as a modem sells for $10 or whatever.

But is it really the same?  Their driver will work with any winmodem of
the same lineage?  The driver must be binary only or else there is some
other detail I am missing.

b.

--=20

Brian J. Murrell