Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 08:48:39 -0400
From: Marvin Stodolsky <marvstod@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: Modem vendor and dev

Just realized I was too terse below

Jacques is  correct that the  under the ALI 10b9:5450 controller
the Subsystem1179:0001 chip from previous info is a Lucent/Agere type"
------------------------------
 Below are outputs from ATI commands under MS Windows for Subsystem:
1179:0001
    ATI3 TOSHIBA V.90 Data+Fax Software Modem Version 3.1.89
    ATI5 3.1.89, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27, 19
------------------------------
with the 0x27 the Siliccon Lans (SIL) identifier for AgereSystems

ALI's genius/curse seems to be buying up cheap lots of components
and assembling them into units functional under MS Windows.
However all to frequently, they are not serviceable under Linux.

In this case, a driver is lacking for the 10b9:5450 controller.
While Sasha K at Smart Link has been progressively increasing
the types of soft modem controllers supported within the slmodem-2.9.n
series,
10b9:5450 is not at this time  in the supported  list.

MarvS