From: "marvstod@rcn.com" <marvstod@rcn.com>
To: mollica.luca@hsr.it,  discuss@linmodems.org
Subject: RE: SUSE 9.0 professional troubles
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:07:37 -0400

Luca

There are a few issues=2E

1) Have you verified on YOUR own SONY VAIO PCG-GRT916V laptop, that the
modem installed is a CONEXANT 56K SoftModem=2E  Sadly it is ENTIRELY too
common that a single laptop model may have any of a few different
softmodems=2E=20
Note that a WinModem Intel 537 is reported in
http://tuxmobil=2Eorg/sony_grt816s=2Ehtml, which would work as reported wi=
th
the SmartLink drivers=2E  While we have only a previous failure report for=
CONEXANT 56K SoftModem with the SmartLink drivers=2E
It it is indeed a Conexnant modem there is support software on the CDs
     CD4/suse/i586/hsflinmodem-5=2E03=2E27mbsibeta02122600-92=2Ei586=2Erpm=
 -
softmodem configuration
     CD4/suse/i586/km_hsflinmodem-5=2E03=2E27mbsibeta02122600-92=2Ei586=2E=
rpm
-softmodem=20

PLEASE to get confirmation by checking the modem info under MS Windows or
   Browse http://linmodems=2Etechnion=2Eac=2Eil
   Download  http://linmodems=2Etechnion=2Eac=2Eil/packages/scanModem=2Egz=

   Within a Linux partition only:
$ gunzip scanModem=2Egz
   It might be necessary to make executable with:
$ chmod a+x scanModem
   before running diagnostics with:
$ =2E/scanModem

2) Is  2=2E4=2E21-199 correct? If it is the kernel-source installed from t=
he CD
as contrasted to some kernel-source update, my memory is that
# uname -r
should report=20
  2=2E4=2E21-99-default   OR  2=2E4=2E21-99-athalon

3) RE dislpaying an error in finding the directory or file build for kerne=
2=2E4=2E21-99
Please install the following packages if not already installed:
  gcc
  kernel-source
  wvdial
  kppp (that is the package providing it)

4) To set up the kernel-source
  cd /usr/src/linux
  make mrproper
  make cloneconfig
edit the fourth line Only in the Makefile to either  =20
  EXTRAVERSION   =3D   -99-default
  EXTRAVERSION   =3D   -99-athalon
depending upon the output of your
# uname -r
Then the matching headers will be properly compiled by=20
  make dep

With the headers thus prepared, proceed to compiling the modem drivers:

But first do ascertain what your modem hardware is, or you may be working
with the wrong driver resource=2E  When you run:
# =2E/scanModem
there will be output some useful Modem*=2Etxt files

If it is an HSF Conexant modem, run
# hsfconfig
after doing all above=2E

MarvS