Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:43:01 +0200 (IST)
From: Jacques Goldberg <goldberg@phep2.technion.ac.il>
To: Lawrence Porter <lawrenceporter@yahoo.com>
Cc: LinModems <discuss@linmodems.org>
Subject: Re: Auto-installation of the slmodem-2.9.10 driver into Mandrake
 10.1

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Lawrence Porter wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I origionally sent the following to Antonio, but am
> now broadcasting it to possibly save him a lot of
> effort in assisting me. If anyone else can help I'd be
> very grateful

  Sorry I answered a bit too quickly. I thought that you made /dev/ttyS
links because I read too fast.
  I see that you linked (correct me if wrong) the script slmodemd placed
in /etc/rc.d/init.d (same as /etc/rc.d/init which is a link to the
previous /etc/rc.d/init.d ) to /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/Sxxslmodemd and likewise in
rc6.d .
  I see that this follows the instructions given by Marv in
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg00963.html
  I must say that I do not see the point between using 4 instead of 5 on a
laptop, but this is not the place to discuss it (to whom does it make any
difference to keep slamr loaded and slmodemd [daemon] running even when
not connected?).
  I would like to know the answers to the following commands
ps ax | grep slmodem
/sbin/lsmod | grep slamr
  AFTER the machine has been rebooted and BEFORE starting slmodemd by
hand. You need not reboot if you have not yet triggered slmodemd since the
last boot.
  Please add the script slmodemd located in /etc/rc.d/init.d as you use it
as this time.

  Again: the mail (postfix and mailman) have NOTHING to do with the modem.

  The numbers (01 to 99) in your links have no importance as long as no
other Linux service (for which an entry exists in /etc/rc.d/init.d) needs
the connection to be established.
  These numbers only define the order in which the services are started at
boot or stop/reboot (01 first, 99 last, several with same number Ok)

  POSTFIX:

When you type   hostname   you probably get   localhost
When you type   cat /etc/hosts  you probably see
127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain   localhost
When you type   cat /etc/sysconfig/network  you probably see
HOSTNAME=localhost

NEVER TOUCH /etc/hosts even if experts tell you to do so, or your computer
may need 15 to 300 minutes to boot.
Edit /etc/sysconfig/network  so that HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

  Postfix intervenes when you send mail, and also if you receive mail
DIRECTLY to your computer. It does NOT intervene when you receive mail
which you POP or IMAP from your ISP to your computer.
  Manmail is a tool use dif you want to operate a discussion list such as
discuss@linmodems.org on your computer.

 Jacques