Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:08:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: RPM file instead of TAR file
To: Muhammad Ali <smanaqvi83@gmail.com>
Cc: discuss@linmodems.org

--- Muhammad Ali <smanaqvi83@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>        I'll be thankfull if you send me the .RPM
> file so I can easily
> Install the Modem.
  It will be hard to find a rpm.  I have personally
checked pbone.net and got the message "No documents
found".  I also checked
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/kernel-module-ltmodem/
and did not find any rpm for kernel 2.6 or greater
which include 2.6.5-1.358 Fedora Core 2.  It would be
great if someone can help, but keep searching for one
in google and maybe you will be successful.  But if
instead you try to compile it yourself you'll be at a
tremendous advantage.
> I have been facing some problems by Installing TAR
> file. because I
> don't know the whole procedure.
 Please read carefully README.  It tells you step by
step which commands to execute.  Get the
ltmodem-8.31a9.tar.gz compiler kit and follow the
steps there.  I will try to summarize these for you to
try and encourage you to go this route.
Download ltmodem-8.31a9.tar.gz from
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/archive/source/
$ tar -zxvf ltmodem-8.31a9.tar.gz
$ cd ltmodem-8.31a9
try this
$ /build_module
$  ./ltinst2
$  ./autoload
report back if successful/failure.

Read the documentation carefully.

You may print this email to read 1ST-README.  try not
to be intimidated.  Your modem is an ltmodem shown by
lines
> Class 0780: 11c1:0440   Communication controller:
> Lucent Microelectronics 56k WinModem (rev 01)
 from scanModem.  Many have advised to update the
kernel to a newer version from the archives of
linmodems.org.  You are in control.  If you sit and
wait for a rpm and you don't get any.  You will have
lost some time and if you try, who knows you could be
sucessful and learn along the way.

Regards,

Antonio

$ cat 1ST-README
which gives

[olivares@localhost ltmodem-8.31a9]$ cat 1ST-READ
PREREQUISITES

HOPE
This kit will provide support for many
modems with Lucent chipsets, under a variety
of modem brand names. To simply test for a supported
PCI card modem, run:
$ ./scanmodem
Much additional information on modem chipset
identification
is at: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/ and
http://linmodems.org wherefrom there can be
accessed the newslist and archives of
discuss@linmodems.org

Hopeless
This kit will FAIL to support currently known
winmodems with chipsets produced by Conexant,
Motorola, Intel
and US Robotics. AMR modems from Lucent/Agere and
other
manufacturers and not suppoorted by this driver pair.

For Returnees
If the previous versions ltmodem-SomeVersion.tar.gz
worked for you,
it is OK to just do it again:
$  ./build_module
             and follow through.
Report problems through: discuss@linmodems.org
Send bug fixes  through: discuss@linmodems.org
Gratitude too,  through: discuss@linmodems.org

The installation sequence:
  ./build_module -> ./ltinst2 -> ./autoload
suffices to prepare and install ready-for-use modem
drivers.
But YOU must still configure dialout scripts.

The commands ./build_rpm or ./build_deb are
supplemental,
for use by more Advanced Users. They package the modem
drivers
into installers. Such installers do bring the Benefits
of
registering the drivers with software Package
maintenance systems.
If ./build_module succeeds, it will do no harm
whatsover to try them.
Success is however dependent upon auxilliary packaging
software.

First time users
If your PC is now under a DOS or Microsoft Windows
operating system, STOP NOW!!!
Scripts (action files) herein are corrupted by DOSsy
stops.
Reboot your PC under Linux.  Copy the kit into a Linux
workspace, say within /root or some /home/User folder.
     tar zxvf ltmodem-version.tar.gz
opens it. Move in with:
     cd ltmodem-version/
Start with:   1ST-READ. Eventually also browse
with DOCs/ Ltmodem.html and the other files as MUCH
useful information is contained therein.

Apologies for being a bit pedantic herein. But the
guidance below incorporates LESSONS LEARNED with the
predecessor kits. More experienced Linux users
do FINE without this Lengthy blurb. BUT,
discuss@linmodems.org has been kept too busy dealing
with some simpler issues/errors. Most Users will be
able to skip through sections of this text.

The kit contains specific modem "driver" code, to be
combining with external resources, producing a driver
pait
   lt_modem.o and lt_serial.o
matched with your current Linux kernel. Your acting
kernel
version is displayed by:
#       uname -r
First the external resources must be arranged and
checked.
Examples of expected diagnostic responses are given
below.
Your's may differ slightly, depending upon version
differences in utilities and hardware.

Checks for modem identity
SKIP this section if ./scanmodem reported a supported
modem.
Hopefully there is a documentation assuring you that
your
modem is of the Lucent chipset variety.  If you are
guessing/hoping, there are some effective diagnostic
tests
for the PCI class of hardware, including some modems.
The supporting
software is commonly part of a "pcituils" installation
package.
Diagnostics replies including "Lucent" or "Xircom" may
be returned by:
#       lspci -v
00:0a.0 Communication controller: Lucent
Microelectronics 56k WinModem (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
56k Data+Fax+Voice+Dsvd
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0,
IRQ 12
        Memory at da800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=256]
        I/O ports at b800 [size=8]
        I/O ports at b400 [size=256]
        Capabilities: [f8] Power Management version 2

Note the lead designation like " 00:0a.0 ".
Next look for the information block beginning with
00:0a.0 ,
when querying again with:
#       lspci -nv
00:0a.0 Class 0780: 11c1:0440 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 11c1:0440
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0,
IRQ 12
        Memory at da800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=256]
        I/O ports at b800 [size=8]
        I/O ports at b400 [size=256]
        Capabilities: [f8] Power Management version 2

The modems known to be supported by the ltmodem.o
driver have
ID number pairs shown in the following Table. Ignore
the leading 0x.
The id pair          11c1:0442
is within the range: 11c1:0440-045c
and hence should (and is in this case) be supported by
ltmodem.o.

Name            vendor_id       device id range
LUCENT          0x11c1          0x0440-0x045c
XIRCOM          0x115d          0x0000-0x000F
XIRCOM          0x115d          0x0440-0x045c
XIRCOM          0x115d          0x0010-0x03ff
some/all? ids

This information indicates that the modem has the
Lucent
DSP (digital sound processing) chipset and predicts
that
a driver compiled with this kit should serve well.
SKIP to the section "Utilities Versions".

However there are ISA type Lucent modems, such as
that in some Compaq 1500 series (and many other)
laptops,
which will not in general provide such explicit
information.

Read up on identifying modem hardware at:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
Note that a success in compiling the drivers is
NOT at all diagnostic. The compiling itself
has no dependence at all on your modem hardware.

Utilities Versions.
If you are using a 2.2.nn version kernel, SKIPping
this
section is OK on your first trial. SKIP down to
section:
  REQUIRED kernel-headers or kernel-source
But read and check carefully if you encounter
problems,
or will use a 2.4.nn series kernel.

The version requirements table below are for
kernel-version
2.2.16 or lower, but should suffice through the 2.2.nn
kernels:

Utility    lowest Version suggested    version test
Kernel modutils        2.1.121    ; insmod -V
Gnu C                  2.7.2.3    ; gcc --version
Gnu make               3.79.1     ; make --version
Binutils               2.8.1.0.23 ; ld -v
patch                  2.54       ; patch --version
Linux libc6 C Library  2.0.7pre6  ; ls -l /lib/libc*
Dynamic Linker (ld.so) 1.9.9      ; ldd --version
Linux C++ Library      2.7.2.8    ; ls -l
/usr/lib/libg++.so.*
Procps                 2.0.3      ; ps --version
Psmisc                 17         ; pstree -V
Net-tools              1.52       ; hostname -Vld
Sh-utils               1.16       ; basename --v
Bash                   1.14.7     ; bash -version
PPP                    2.3.10     ; pppd --version
Util-linux             2.9z       ; mkfs --version
Pcmcia-cs              3.0.14     ; cardmgr -V
    The last is needed only for pcmcia card modems.

To compile under kernel 2.4.0 version sources,
the following additional requirements are recommended:
Gnu C                  2.91.66    # gcc --version
Gnu make               3.77       # make --version
binutils               2.9.1.0.25 # ld -v
patch                  2.5        # patch --version
util-linux             2.10o      # mkfs --version
modutils               2.4.0      # insmod -V
e2fsprogs              1.19       # tune2fs --version
pcmcia-cs              3.1.21     # cardmgr -V
PPP                    2.3.11     # pppd --version

REQUIRED kernel-headers or kernel-sources
The easiest and smallest satisfactory resource is a
kernel-header package with download size of about 1.5
Mb.
Kernel-header roles are explained in DOCs/ForNewbies.
They can be obtained from repositories for your Linux
distribution.  Its version must match that of the your
current kernel as displayed by:
$       uname -r

Some Linux distros are now providing alternative
install kernels.
For them this next step is CRITICAL.
You must identify on your own System,
a config file specifying the contents of your kernel.
For some Linux
Distros, it will be at:
  /boot/config-version
For RedHat there is a /usr/src/linux/configs
directory.
The version IS same as that displayed by:
$ uname -r
and the start if the file is like:
===============
#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
#
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_ISA=y
# CONFIG_SBUS is not set

Get the matching kernel-header package from your
install CD or
download from your Linux repository. Install it with
whatever tools your distribution provides.  The common
installation folder is:
   /usr/src/kernel-headers-version#/
At this point try running:
$  ./build_module
It all works, just follow through with included
instructions.
Also see the explanation of build_rpm and build_deb
below.

In the case of build_module failure, read on.
A symbolic link may be  necessary, made with:
  ln -s PATHto/kernel-headers-version /usr/src/linux
Test with:
#       ls /usr/src/linux/include/linux
802_11.h           fd1772.h                loop.h
a.out.h            fddidevice.h            lp.h
ac97_codec.h       fdreg.h                 lvm.h
acct.h             file.h                  major.h
acpi.h             filter.h                malloc.h
adb.h              fs.h                    matroxfb.h
adb_mouse.h        fs_struct.h
mc146818rtc.h
and MANY more.  These are the desired kernel-header
files.
Some will compiled with the modem specific codes in
this packages
SKIP to FINALLY

For the More Experienced planning to compile kernels,
the
sources download size will be some 15 Mb. Reading a
KERNEL-HowTo
is a MUST if you have not worked with such sources
before.
Be sure that your Linux PC installation includes
files:
        /usr/bin/nm86
        /usr/bin/size86
        /usr/bin/objdump86
which are commonly part of bin86 package of Linux
distibutors.

After installation of the sources folder somewhere,
set the
following MANDATORY symbolic link as Root, and with
the
text on one line:
#       ln -sf
/PATHtoFolderWith/kernel-sources-version/
                /usr/src/linux
This linkage is Necessary both for compiling ltmodem.o
through its own Makefile, and for compiling custom
kernels.
Check with:
#        ls -l /usr/src/linux
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root   src   17 Jan 25 21:24
/usr/src/linux
-> /Some//Folder/linux-2.2.16 and further with:
#       ls  /usr/src/linux
COPYING        Makefile        arch     include  lib
   scripts
CREDITS        README          debian   init     mm
Documentation  REPORTING-BUGS  drivers  ipc
modules
MAINTAINERS    Rules.make      fs       kernel   net

If you have not yet run a configuration, the command:
#       ls /usr/src/linux/include/linux
will NOT yet return a Monster list of *.h header
files.
These are produced after a few steps. Move to the
sources
folder:
#       cd /usr/src/linux
Clean up of old debris:
#       make clean
Please check that building of modversions.h is
enabled:
#       grep MODVERSIONS /usr/src/linux/.config
should output:
                CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
If not, set up the configuration appropriate to your
PC
within /usr/src/linux, with:
#       make menuconfig OR make xconfig
Lastly, get some coffee, while setting the
dependencies
which build the header files:
#       make dep
When "make dep" is completed, check with:
#       ls /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h
AND to see even more headers:
#       ls /usr/src/linux/include/linux
802_11.h           fd1772.h                loop.h
a.out.h            fddidevice.h            lp.h
ac97_codec.h       fdreg.h                 lvm.h
acct.h             file.h                  major.h
acpi.h             filter.h                malloc.h
adb.h              fs.h                    matroxfb.h
adb_mouse.h        fs_struct.h
mc146818rtc.h
and MANY more.  These are the desired kernel-header
files
needed in the compile

FINALLY
WITHOUT opening the inner source.tar.gz
     ./build_module
will compile drivers matching your current kernel.
Should there be a failure, first read
DOCs/Compile_fail.txt
If ./build_module generates the drivers
    ./ltinst2
will install them, Lastly
    ./autoload
will prepare your system for demand loading of the
drivers.
They are NOT loaded on boot up, but are autoloaded
when modem usage is initiated. Do read DOCs/LastAdvice
if you have not previously used these drivers.
Also browse the other DOCs files to be aware of what
assistance they way provide for special problems.
The ltmodem Maintainer and Tester groups wish you
good service on the Internet.

Report problems through: discuss@linmodems.org
Send bug fixes  through: discuss@linmodems.org
Gratitude too,  through: discuss@linmodems.org

Build_rpm and build_deb
Once you have confirmed functionality, a final
step is to properly register the software, to
gaurantee easy
upgrade and/or removal with your particular Linux
distributions package management tools.  For
distributions
using a rpm package maintenance system.  This is aided
 by
the command:

#   ./build_rpm
which if System requirements are met, will output a
    ltmodem-version.rpm
The whole installation will then be redone with the
command
#  rpm -i version.rpm
but this time, WITH Proper Registration of the
package.
A report of a typeical ./build_rpm run is in DOCs/

Similarly, it your Linux distribution utilizes Debian
style
package maintenance.  Construct an installer with:
$  ./build_deb
and run the installation with:
$  dpkg -i ltmodem-version.deb

Installed Components
1) The modem driver pair are installed in the standard
kernel modules path.

2) There is a block with the file /etc/modules.conf

# lt_drivers: autoloading and insertion parameter
usage
alias char-major-62 lt_serial
alias /dev/tts/LT0 lt_serial
alias /dev/modem lt_serial
# The next line is a syntax example, rarely needed, to
automate parameter
usage during lt_drivers insertion. See documentation
for details
# options lt_modem vendor_id=0x115d device_id=0x0420
Forced=3,0x130,0x2f8
# section for lt_drivers ends

3) If an rpm installer was used, the DOCs/ and utils/
are copied into:
  /usr/share/DOC/ltmodem-ver#/

4) If your system is using the device file system,
there is a file:
  /etc/devfs/conf.d/ltmodem
or lines are appended to:
  /etc/devfsd.conf

Removal of Installed Components
If installation was accomplished through:
  ./build_module
  ./ltinst2
  ./autoload
The installed components are cleaned out with:
  ./ltuninst2
  ./cleanup

If Debian or RPM installers were used,
then use the corresponding package removal tools.

FINI
========
Updated 04March2002 by Marv Stodolsky

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fifth/msg00055.html

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg03230.html
>  A suitable installer is not available as of this
> 2005_Jan_29 update.
>  Check in the section fedora at
> http://ltmodem.heby.de/
>    for a subsequent Installer submission.
>  Older releases have been archived at:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/archive/
>  Also there is a RPM search engine at:
> http://rpm.pbone.net
>  The closest match to your   i686=CPU   is
> recommended.
>    The closest match to your   i686=CPU   is
> recommended.
>    For example replacements in order of preference
> for an
>      i686 would be i586, i486 and i386
>  If not present use the  ltmodem-8.31a9.tar.gz
> compiler kit.
>
>  The list of available Installers for fedora as of
> this 2005_Jan_29
>  is inserted into to Modem/General.txt
>   ======= PCI_ID checking completed ======
>  Update=2005_Jan_29
> A PCMCIA CardBus is not detected on this System.
> The following information blocks just query some ppp
> support items.

>    grep -rs ppp /etc/modprobe.*
> -------------------------------------
> /etc/modprobe.conf.dist:alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async
> /etc/modprobe.conf.dist:alias tty-ldisc-14
> ppp_synctty
> /etc/modprobe.conf.dist:alias ppp-compress-18
> ppp_mppe
> /etc/modprobe.conf.dist:install ppp-compress-21
> /bin/true
> /etc/modprobe.conf.dist:alias ppp-compress-24
> ppp_deflate
> /etc/modprobe.conf.dist:alias ppp-compress-26
> ppp_deflate
> -------------------------------------
>  PPP support module  bsd_comp.ko  not found!
>  Resident PPP support modules are properly
> uncompressed .
>  COMM services are not active
> DEVPPP=crw------- 1 root root 108, 0 Feb 24 2004
> /dev/ppp
> A /dev/modem symbolic link is not present
>
>  No devfsd.conf file found, indicated absense of the
> devfsd daemon package
>  for device file system (devfs) symbolic link
> support.
>
> DEVFSD=

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg03167.html

=== message truncated ===