From: "paul holt" <paulkholt@hotmail.co.uk>
To: Philippe.Vouters@laposte.net, marvin.stodolsky@gmail.com
Cc: discuss@linmodems.org
Bcc:
Subject: Re: scanModem, Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:36:25 +0000

Hi Phillippe,

I have tried your driver and the good thing is that something compiles...I
think previously I was trying to install a 16bit driver on a 32 bit
linux...it was built for Fedora Core 2!!!. I am sure a have a 537ep modem
because that's what my windows installation tells me.

the makefile didn't recognize my modem so I used the export command!

I am still having a few problems and hope you can help me....

When I check the following:
$ ls -l /dev/modem

I get this

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 jan 22 12:37 /dev/modem -> /dev/537

and when I check the following:

$ ls -l /dev/537*

I get this

crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 240, 1 jan 22 13:08 /dev/537
crw-rw----  1 root root 240, 1 jan 22 13:08 /dev/5370

NOTE THAT i HAVE A 537EP MODEM AND THE ABOVE LINES ONLY SAY 537

Also I am not sure where to look in the wealth of information provided by
dmesg to check my modem

I tried to test it using wvdial after setting up /etc/wvdial.conf

I copied the entire file from your attachment and just substituted the
provider, username and password...my provider is tiscalli also :-). when I
run wvdial for tiscalli, I get the following messages:

initializing
sending atz
sending atz0
resending atz