Sender: marv
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 23:48:09 -0500
From: Marvin Stodolsky <stodolsk@rcn.com>
To: LinModems <discuss@linmodems.org>
Subject: Resource Conflicts, Compaq 1500c Re: Lucent Winmodem

The good question Carlos poses below is:
While out Compaq 1500c Armada laptops are near identical,
why did only he encounter an IRQ conflict with the PCMCIA system and the
IRQ 3 of the isa Lucent modem.

The answer can only be guessed at, but way well be representative of
recurring problems reported to the List.  We can assume that PC
assemblers will want to use every last(aging) component in their
inventories.  Probably initial large PC runs are well conceived and
designed.  But when it comes to left over components, they way well be
kludged together with minimal flexibilty, just enough that they will
boot WinSwish when sold at YourComputerChain.

My Compaq was part of a large Company buy, with service reliability
contracts, making it Compaq's benefit not to cut any corners.  But  all
buyers may not get such "royal" hardware, and may have to fight it a bit
more to get implementation under Linux.

Microsoft has spent Many millions on software development to ameliorate
resource conflicts.  Under Linux, things are definitly improving fast,
much owing to the fact that our Folks with strong technical background
have access to the code, and can rapidly turn around improvements. But
there is still clearly much to be done in automating resource conflict
resolution, as contrasted to the sometimes Heroic efforts/contributions
reported to this List

MarvS