Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:27:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Student Student <unixstudent@yahoo.com>
Subject: DCD ?
To: Linux Modems <discuss@linmodems.org>

Hello everyone,

I was looking for the solution for the reason why
/bin/login hangs and a fix for it.
Here is what i found in
http://home.leo.org/~doering/mgetty/mgetty_66.html#SEC66
pages:

"A problem seen fairly often on directly connected
serial lines (mgetty -r), and seldomly on modem lines,
is that mgetty works flawlessly, but /bin/login just
hangs instead of prompting for the user password.

The reason for this is that many login programs reopen
`/dev/tty' (the controlling tty of a process) to make
sure they have full control over the password entered
by the user (for example, to prevent snooping). This
will block on some systems if the DCD (carrier detect)
line coming from the modem or the other machine is
low. Notably those systems are those that have
callin/callout device pairs for one serial device,
e.g. Linux, SunOS, SCO/FAS, etc.

The fix is easy: make sure that the DCD line is high.

If you use a modem, the command to do this is usually
AT&C1 (but check with your modem manual).
"

1) I am using a linmodem (5.78e...), my modem is
configured to /dev/ttyS14.
2) I am fairly new in configuering the modems.

The above document did not make any sense to me.
Can any of you guru's explain me a step-by-step/easy
way of attaining my goal.

Thank's all, Bye Kumar.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/