Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:02:08 -0500
From: Paul Hanni <hannip@aol.net>
To: discuss <discuss@linmodems.org>
Subject: Re: connection problems displaying remote X apps and Netscape 6.01 jpegs

More info on this problem.  It's getting more interesting by the minute.

Tried the following...

1) opening remote X app on local Linux machine fails to display the
app.  Remote host becomes unpingable.

2) firing up vmware running Win98 under Linux using Windows dialup
networking with the linmodem and olitec driver successfully displays the
remote x app in Windows.  I'm using Hummingbird Xceed as an Xserver on
Windows.

3) Repeated 2, but instead of using Windows dialup networking I
connected in Linux as usual and used IP masquarade to provide internet
access to the vmware Win98.  The remote X app failed to display this
time in Win98 and the remote host became unpingable.

The differences between 2 (working) and 1,3 (not working) is Windows ppp
vs. Linux ppp.  The modem and driver are the same in all three so they
are not the problem.  I tried to narrow this down some more by trying
many different pppd options to see if they had any effect, but none
did.  Next I wanted to log all the packets coming in and out of ppp
using the "record" option to see the last thing logged for some clues.
Well, it logged the data alright, but much to my surprise the remote X
app displayed ok!  I tried Netscape 6.01 and it also worked, guess it
wasn't a Netscape bug after all.  When I removed the "record" option in
pppd it fails again, ugh.

The info on the "record" option from the pppd How-To reads:

record filename
Specifies that pppd should record all characters sent and received to a
file named filename. This file is opened in append mode, using the
user's user-ID and permissions. This option is implemented using a
pseudo-tty and a process to transfer characters between the pseudo-tty
and the real serial device, so it will increase the latency and CPU
overhead of transferring data over the ppp interface. The characters are
stored in a tagged format with timestamps, which can be displayed in
readable form using the pppdump(8) program.

Timing problem?  Now I'm stuck again.  Anybody have ideas on what to try
next?  Any pppd Guru's out there?

Paul Hanni                                                hannip@aol.net
<mailto:hannip@aol.net>