Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:21:56 +0300 (IDT)
From: Jacques Goldberg <goldberg@phep2.technion.ac.il>
To: Victoriya Landsman <msvika@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Cc: discuss@linmodems.org
Subject: Re: Linmodems question

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Victoriya Landsman wrote:

> Dear all1!
> I am a pioneer in Linux. I suppose that my question is very simple for
> most of you: I wish to purchase U.S.ROBOTICS modem that will work with
> Windows and Linux as well (I have both operating systems on my PC) . Do
>  you knowwhat type exaclty I need?
> (Currently I am using Zoltrix WINHSP 115200 56K modem. But Linux doesn't
>
>  support it (while running minicom initialization modem program I have
> no
> any answer).

  See Web page http://www.zoltrix.com/modem/MODEM-Drivers.HTM and search
for winhsp to discover that your modem works with a PCTEL 1709 chipset.

  To find this page I used http://www.google.com and searched for Zoltrix
winhsp , found a link to drivers.

  This modem is supported under Linux. Follow this link to find what you
need to do to make it work:
http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/linux/pctel.html

  On the other hand, see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/stodolsk.html to
find information of one single type of US-Robotics ( = 3COM) winmodem that
is known to work under Linux.

  Conclusion: Your PCTEL based Zoltrix will work. 3COM is one of the worst
possible choice for a new modem.

  By the way: look up some dictionary to find what "pioneer" means.

                                              Jacques Goldberg