Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:36:39 -0400
From: KCmaniac <hoffy@gnc.net>
To: discuss@linmodems.org
Subject: Trying to install 5.99b on my new Debian system ...

I just installed Debian or at least some of it.  I only have the base
system mainly because I have no connection to the Internet.  I am trying
to install Debian using FTP or HTTP.  Since how I do not have the CDs or
the myriad of packages on disk I am stuck in the mud until I can get my
Lucent WinModem working with the base Debian system.  The kernal is
2.2.19pre17_idepci.  I downloaded
ltmodem-2.2.19pre17-idepci_5.99b_i386.deb and used the dpkg -i command
on it but the install failed.  It is saying that it depends on package
kernal_image_2.2.19pre17-idepci but that this package is not installed??

I have no idea what this means.  As far as I know I have followed
instructions to the letter.  How do I install this kernal_image
package?  Is it possible that the image it is looking for is in /boot.
The current image in /boot is vmlinuz-2.2.19pre17-idepci.  Could it be
that I need to rename this file to kernal_image-2.2.19pre17-idepci and
make the appropriate changes to LILO?  I am at a lose as to what I have
to do to get this modem to dial out.

This modem is working fine with my RedHat system using 2.2.14 and
version 5.68 of ltmodem.o

Please help, thank you.

RLH