Sender: marv
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 06:19:05 -0500
From: Marvin Stodolsky <stodolsk@rcn.com>
To: LinModems <discuss@linmodems.org>,
 	Joern Wuestenfeld <J.Wuestenfeld@gsi.de>,
 	"[MAS] Jack" <Jack2000@fastrun.at>
Subject: PCMCIA ltmodem & serial_cs

With respect to the role of serial_cs
Concur that it is NOT appearing in the ioports listing below.
Rather, while listed as a kernel module,
It's role appears to be that of a daemon managing the serial port,
for my system /dev/ttyS3. Noticed that if PPP is not shut down in a
"clean fashion" (though I can't precisely define this yet), then
$ rmmod serial_cs
is necessary to close /dev/ttyS3 before a new dialout can be successful.

Please note that I'm proceeding through these tests from my background
of a biologist, pushing and proding to see what results will be, rather
than someone with a true knowledge of the underlying code.

MarvS
-----------
# uname -r
2.4.4
          # cat /etc/pcmcia.conf
PCMCIA=yes
# PCIC=yenta_socket
PCIC=i82365
echo PCIC = $PCIC
PCIC_OPTS=
CORE_OPTS=
CARDMGR_OPTS=

$ grep lt_ /etc/modules.conf

# lt_drivers: autoloading and insertion parameter usage
# alias char-major-62 lt_serial << Not useful for PCMCIA modem
# for special case of pcmcia lt_modem below
options lt_modem Forced=3,0xbc,0x2f8
above serial_cs lt_modem
# above two lines just load lt_modem with "/etc/init.d/pcmcia start"
# section for lt_drivers ends

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ppp_deflate            39200   1  (autoclean)
bsd_comp                4144   0  (autoclean)
ppp_async               6192   1  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            13104   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp
ppp_async]
slhc                    4736   1  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
lt_modem              316288   0  (unused)
serial_cs               4528   0  (unused)
ds                      6592   2  [serial_cs]
i82365                 11904   2
pcmcia_core            38912   0  [serial_cs ds i82365]

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:     252555          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       6287          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:        440          XT-PIC  serial  << with start of modem
  4:      30009          XT-PIC  serial  << mouse
 11:          0          XT-PIC  ide2
 14:       5475          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

Note below, no serial_cs, rather modem port from above
Forced=3,0xbc,0x2f8
# cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01e8-01ef : ide2
01f0-01f7 : ide0
02e8-02ef : serial(set)
02f8-02ff : serial(auto) <<<<
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03e0-03e1 : i82365
03ee-03ee : ide2
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(set)
0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
5c20-5c3f : Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M7101 PMU
b400-b40f : Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M5229 IDE
  b400-b407 : ide0
  b408-b40f : ide1
b800-b8ff : PCI device 1813:4000 (Ambient Technologies Inc)
d000-dfff : PCI Bus #01
  d800-d8ff : ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RF

       Date:  Thu, 31 May 2001 20:29:03 +1200
       From:    "[MAS] Jack" <Jack2000@fastrun.at>
         To:    "Marvin Stodolsky" <stodolsk@rcn.com>