From: "Araneda, Dorian" <dorian.araneda@intel.com>
To: "'Sandro Dentella'" <sandro.dentella@tin.it>
Cc: "'discuss@linmodems.org'" <discuss@linmodems.org>
Subject: RE: Info on modem MD56xx on Linux (PCMCIA)
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 06:41:34 -0700

Sandra,

unfortunately this is a known problem in this version.

there seems to be a compression problem when downloading
certian files.

it usually happens with files that have a high potential to
be compressed such as : uncompressed files and ISO images.
it also appears to be driver speed related.  the linux
runs a bit different than the windows driver and may
run faster.

I was experiencing problems download a certain Redhat image.
it would die at around 100Kb.

try the new beta408-1  driver first.
here are the links to download the latest beta:
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il

distributions that I have tested are mandrake 8.0, SuSE 7.1, Redhat 7.1
and Redhat 7.0.

there are some special instructions to installing the new driver
the primary one is: you have to have compiler and  kernel source to compile
the driver.
it is available on the cd's that came with your distribution.

there are special instructions for version 408-1  to work in Redhat 7.1.
if you have this version let me know and I will help you get the driver to
compile for it.

test out the download with this driver and let me know how it goes.
I am very interested.  I am hoping it works.
reason is, there has been ALOT of changes (almost a year's worth of changes)
to the core code since the last version.

If it still does not work. let me know and we can resort shutting off
v90 via AT commands.

also,
I personally have not tested any PCMCIA cards but I believe the driver
should work fine with one.  I have had beta testers that the older
driver worked on their PCMCIA card just fine.

---
Dorian S. Araneda
Product Engineer,
Intel Residential Access Division (RAD)
http://developer.intel.com/design/modems/
www.intel.com   www.intc.com  (ticker: INTC)
110 Horizon Dr., Suite 300, Raleigh, NC  27615