Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 17:09:34 +0530
To: Jacques Goldberg <Jacques.Goldberg@cern.ch>
From: Arash Zeini <a.zeini@iranlaico.com>
Subject: Re: lt_serial not compiling
Cc: LinModems <discuss@linmodems.org>,christoph hebeisen <heby@heby.de>

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in between barefoot :).

Unfortunately is my modem (a Xircom) not supported but I managed to get the
build going on SuSE 7.1. I am currently using kernel 2.2.18 on my Toshiba
2800-400.

The headers are not installed by default, so you get the message that the
kernel headers are missing if you try './build_module'.
In order to install the headers, I assume you have the SuSE CDs, you need
to use yast. I use yast1. The headers are under the package, which is
called 'd' (development). There are two sets of headers: one for the 2.4
kernel and one for the 2.2.18 kernel. Sorry but I have forgotten how they
are called, but they both begin with lx... :).
If you have the package 'linclude' installed you will get a message that it
is not necessary to install the kernel headers for 2.2.18. Simply ignore
this message and install the 2.2.18 headers with yast.

After this there should be no other problem for building the modules. At
least this is how it worked for me.

I have also built an rpm file for the ltmodem-5.99b under SuSE 7.1 (kernel
2.2.18). However I have not checked this file. Nothing went wrong during
the build. I will send this file to Jacques for further use, distribution
and test.

Best wishes,
Arash