From: "Kyle T Raglin" <KTRaglin@Yahoo.com>
To: <discuss@linmodems.org>
Cc: <linmodem-3com@new-n-used.com>, <support@3Com.com>, <marketing@3Com.com>,
        <support@Dell.com>, <marketing@Dell.com>,
        "'Editor in Chief \(Linux Journal Magazine\)'" <ljeditor@ssc.com>
Subject: Who has interest in a 3COM linmodem?
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 02:21:55 -0400

Yes, I have interest in Linmodems.  I am a computer consultant who works
with different companies to do many different types of projects.  Most of
these companies have technicians, salespeople, and others who work in the
field using notebook PCs.  They have shown a lot of interest in Linux, but
without some sort of support for the internal modems in the notebooks
they've purchased, it seems certain that they will probably seek out
different notebooks in the future.

When notebook manufacturers see a drop in sales and people express
discontent with this modem issue, those notebook manufacturers will be faced
with a choice....   Look for their existing modem manufacturing partners to
develop drivers, or drop them in favor of manufacturers who will provide the
drivers.

Use my Dell Inspiron 8000 notebook as an example.  It was selected because
the Dell Website suggested that the exact same notebook could be purchased
with Redhat Linux preinstalled.  When I got the notebook, it was
preinstalled with Windows 2000 because I knew that I would need that
Operating System to do some other testing, and development.  I knew that I
could re-size the partition, move it, and create another one for use with
Redhat Linux.  What I didn't know is that when Dell sells a Redhat
preinstalled machine, the embedded modem is disabled.  They install a
PC-Card modem that is used in lieu of the embedded 3Com v.90 556b MiniPCI.
That's because the embedded modem is only supported by 3Com for use with
Microsoft Operating Systems - not Linux, OS/2, the BeOS, or any others.  I
thought that because the machine comes preinstalled with Linux I should be
able to install Linux my way.  If I'd known that the regular modem is
substituted on these machines, I would have purchased a notebook from
another manufacturer who offers an embedded modem with drivers for Linux, as
well as Windows.