Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:53:11 +0300 (IDT)
From: Jacques Goldberg <goldberg@phep2.technion.ac.il>
To: Victoria Landsman <msvika@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Cc: discuss@linmodems.org
Subject: Re: Zoltrix modem question

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Victoria Landsman wrote:

> My kernel number is 2.2.16-22.
> I am using Phantom Zoltrix WinHsp 56k modem.
> I've found the file named hsp56-linux.zip at zoltrix.com
> Explain me in a few words about the installation procedure.

  Zoltrix.com tells you how to that (Installation instructions):

  1.After downloading the file, use WinZip to unzip the hsp56-linux.zip
file to a empty directory or blank floppy disk. (If you cannot locate the
file you downloaded, use the Windows Find command to search for the
hsp56-linux.zip on your hard disk.)

  2.Refer to the readme.txt file included in the zip file for installation
instructions. (This file will be found in the folder you unzipped the
files to in step  #1)

  except that about any Linux user would recommend to copy the downloaded
zip file to a floppy disk, start linux, login as root, copy the zip file
from the floppy disk with command mcopy a:hsp56-linux.zip .  and then use
unzip hsp-56-linux.zip and refer to the readme.txt file etc... (you can
save the floppy disk job if you have a windows disk partition on your
Linux machine and know how to read from there, of course).

> I saw at another sites a lot of other drivers, for different kernel
> numbers. Are they better?

  How can we know without knowing which site you have visited and which
drivers you have seen ?????
  Since your modem is built around the PCTEL 1789 chipset, the right place
to learn more is, as shown in our HOWTO file,
http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/linux/pctel.html
  If you had looked there, starting as I recommended to you with reading
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il, you would have seen that the driver which
you found on the Zoltrix site is included in the list of:

"Old, unsupported drivers, don't ask me questions about them".

                                                  Jacques